Well i met a guy on a forum i visit called ‘The Samba’ and he offered to draw a computerised version of Archie! You can see all the other VW’s the guy has done on his blog, which is linked below.
He did a great job and i am really happy with the outcome.
Woolly Sandwitches Blog
Well, i jacked Archie up yesterday and removed the wheel so i could get into the inside of the wing. I then bent the dent out slightly and to the point where it was no longer rubbing against the wheel so Archie is back up and running.
I now have to make the decision on how to repair him, being a poor student who makes £35 ($55) a week and spends £20 ($31) of that on petrol, the cost of the repair is out of my league. I have 3 options:
Option 1) Pay a body shop to beat out the dent and paint the wing back to how it looked prior to the accident for £150 ($238).
Option 2) Buy a used fender for £50 ($79) and pay a friend who is a body guy £110 ($174) to paint it and then i will fit it.
Option 3) Buy a used fender for £50 ($79) and then paint it myself, which i have no experience of doing.
Im swaying towards option 1, but still not 100%.
Anyway, here are some picture of the wing after i beat it out
Today Archie had a small accident 😦 I was in a car park and was reversing out of the space and as i started to swing out to get onto the road i smashed into a lampost and dented Archie’s left front fender. I feel like a complete idiot and am very embarrassed, i just didn’t see it in time.
I will be doing the work myself as i went to the body guy and he wanted £150 for the work which is far to much for me and money i dont physically own. So i am going to do the best i can. Tomorrow i have planned to take the wheel off so i can get into the fender and try and hammer the dent out as it is currently rubbing against the wheel and has left small cuts already.
Keep an eye out for the update of the work tomorrow, i will get pictures like always.
Regards, Robbie and Archie.
Sorry i havent make a post in a few days, i have been busy trying to get Archie working. I have a flat spot so am in the process of buying a carb rebuild kit and some carb cleaner, funds are a bit low at the minute but hopefully by the weekend i will have the kit and can get to work rebuilding so keep an eye out for that post, i plan on fully documenting the job and maybe even videoing the whole process.
Anyway, today i had the urge to do something to Archie. I decided i would do a little sound deadening with some computer sound proffing a friend of mine gave to me. I know it wont do a good job but its just a temporary solution until i can make some proper funds and get the real stuff. While i was sorting out the deadening i found a wire has come out of my right hand side speaker, i thought the music had been a bit weird lately. So i ended up having to rewiring the speaker unit and install the boxes back in the car.
As always, here are some pictures of what happened 🙂
Well as i had nothing to do now i had found out Archie has a electronic ignition, i decided i would check and clean the fuel pump filter.
This was a very simple job and only took a few minutes, the only problem i had was getting to the brass bolt because the belt was in the way.
I went to change the points and freshen up the carb this afternoon as i finished college earlier than usual. Went and got the points from the store and was looking forward to working on Archie, even if it was only a small thing that needed doing.
Anyway, after i removed the rotor arm and the plastic cover that covers the inside of the distributor, a place i have never looked before, i found i had an electronic ignition installed. So no need for them points i brought.
Today i finally had a chance to fix the fuel filter and get Archie running again, although i did get soggy knees in the process!
It was a simple job to complete, just had to strip the old filter and hoses and replace them with new. The job had one set back, i brought the wrong size hose. So once i had it all connected, i started him up and was relieved to hear the beautiful sound of his engine running, A RESULT!! Atleast thats what i thought, until i went back round to the engine compartment and saw petrol dripping out the hose connection on the fuel pump. This meant i then had to go back to the shop to get some new hose, which was a problem due to the snow and the fact i had a non fuel leaking car. So my dad offered to go and get some hose for me, when he got back i installed the new hose and had no problem.
Now i have a fully running, non fuel leaking car!